NWA Runners

Monday, June 12, 2006

100/7

Over the weekend I read "Ultra Marathon Man" by Dean Karnazes (http://www.ultramarathonman.com/). It's a fascinating read. Dean tells how he became an ultra endurance athlete, and takes with him on some of his more interesting battles.

Having completed a few marathons, I was humbled. He once ran 100 miles to the starting line of a marathon and then ran the marathon in 3:15. Holy fucking shit.

He talks about the thrill of trying something without knowing if you can accomplish it. The feeling when you push aside the pain and the screams from your sensible self to stop.

I have 1 week before my grand vacation ends and I want to do something. I'd thought of a trip to Vegas or Cedar Point. But instead, I am planning an adventure of the body and soul.

I am going to run 100 miles in one week. Not exactly the accomplishment of an Ultra, but given no preparation, it is a daunting task. I need to average 14 miles a day for 7 days, plus 2 bonus miles. I thought of it last night, and almost immediately starting rationalizing why I can't do it. Dean would say that that is the reason to do it. Because you don't know if you can.

Today, 15.6 miles. (course, more or less: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=234130). My GPS recorded 15.6, this map is a little short. I'm going wth GPS.

I ran midday, temp was 69 when I started, mid 70s at the end, sunny, light dry breeze.

I had to walk a bit at the end due to some nasty chafing. With 6 more runs to go, I want to save my skin. My left quad was a little sore toward the end. Mostly from the 12.6 I ran on Friday. Wish I could undo that one :-)

Tomorrow, who knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home