Sunday’s 30K
I ran what may have been my best race ever on Sunday. It wasn’t my fastest, but it was surely my smartest. It was a 30K on a slightly warmer and sunnier than ideal day. My goal was to test my marathon pace. I’d been having trouble locking it in, like it was between gears. It was a little risky, since my long run to this point was an 18 miler (that likely was a little short, and was definitely a lot slower).
The idea was to practice the beginning of a marathon, settling into my 3:20 marathon pace (7:36), and then try to simulate the end of the marathon by pressing a bit the last few miles.
I started with a group of running pals. Splits:
1: 7:36 (dead on)
2: 7:39
3: 7:48
When we crossed the 3 mile mark, I questioned the mark placement. But in my mind I knew my group had slowed a bit. So I fell back into my rhythm and left them behind, though it was a very slow pull away. I could still here them talking for 2 miles or so.
4: 7:35
5: 7:36
6: 7:38
7: 7:41
I was starting to fade just a bit and wasn’t sure why, but I hit my first Gu here.
8: 7:43
9: 7:42
10: 7:47
11: 7:51
These last few are not as bad as the look. They included some steep climbs. I was starting to pick people off now who were but tiny dots up ahead not too long ago. More Gu here.
12: 7:39
13: 7:32
14: 7:39
Ok, 4miles to go. This was when I wanted to start to press. I was feeling remarkably good and was on a familiar part of the course.
15: 7:30
16: 7:13
17: 7:18
18: 7:23
In the last half mile or so, I passed a guy who was struggling. When the finish line came into view, I heard him coming back on me. Silly, silly man. I responded before he got within 10 feet of me and easily beat him to the… hey, that’s not our finish line, that’s for the 15K. No worry, I continued to motor the final 200 meters, dusting the dude.
18.6: 4:03
Finish time of 2:21:01 put me just under my 7:36 goal pace. I know it’s no marathon, and the worst was yet to come, but it was refreshing to run to plan and to finish so strong.
The idea was to practice the beginning of a marathon, settling into my 3:20 marathon pace (7:36), and then try to simulate the end of the marathon by pressing a bit the last few miles.
I started with a group of running pals. Splits:
1: 7:36 (dead on)
2: 7:39
3: 7:48
When we crossed the 3 mile mark, I questioned the mark placement. But in my mind I knew my group had slowed a bit. So I fell back into my rhythm and left them behind, though it was a very slow pull away. I could still here them talking for 2 miles or so.
4: 7:35
5: 7:36
6: 7:38
7: 7:41
I was starting to fade just a bit and wasn’t sure why, but I hit my first Gu here.
8: 7:43
9: 7:42
10: 7:47
11: 7:51
These last few are not as bad as the look. They included some steep climbs. I was starting to pick people off now who were but tiny dots up ahead not too long ago. More Gu here.
12: 7:39
13: 7:32
14: 7:39
Ok, 4miles to go. This was when I wanted to start to press. I was feeling remarkably good and was on a familiar part of the course.
15: 7:30
16: 7:13
17: 7:18
18: 7:23
In the last half mile or so, I passed a guy who was struggling. When the finish line came into view, I heard him coming back on me. Silly, silly man. I responded before he got within 10 feet of me and easily beat him to the… hey, that’s not our finish line, that’s for the 15K. No worry, I continued to motor the final 200 meters, dusting the dude.
18.6: 4:03
Finish time of 2:21:01 put me just under my 7:36 goal pace. I know it’s no marathon, and the worst was yet to come, but it was refreshing to run to plan and to finish so strong.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home